Company & Industry Database Guides
- First Research Industry Reports
- Hoover's Company Profiles & SEC Filings
- IBIS World Industry Reports
- Industry Reports in Business Source Complete (e.g., MarketLine)
- MarketLine Company Profiles (in Business Source Complete)
- Mergent Online
- ReferenceUSA Company Profiles - view & download
- SEC Filings from Edgar Database
- Business Source Complete article search
- Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage
SimplyMap is an online program to develop maps, tables & reports with numerous demographic, business & marketing variables.
- To create a personal workspace, users must create a login the first time using SimplyMap. SimplyMap will then send an email confirmation to allow entry to the database (check your spam).
- SimplyMap has a limit of FIVE concurrent users. If you cannot get in, wait and try again in a few minutes. And please log out when you have finished your research to allow others to use the resource!
Below is a downloadable handguide with quick instructions on how to create a map or custom report & extract data or image.
SimplyMap provides videos on using their database. Use the Help tab inside their database to access them.
Here are helpful SimplyMap tutorials developed by the Business Librarian from Ohio University:
- How to create a ring study report and map for demographic and consumer variables using Census and Simmons data in SimplyMap. Ring studies enable the creation of "a demographic analysis of a target area based on 1, 3, and 5 mile radius around a location."
- How to create a standard report is how to create a table comparing multiple variables across many locations.
- How to add businesses to a map by type or name pinpoints where businesses are located so tabular reports can be generated on them.
Tip for using the Filter feature to map more than one variable: If you have "No Location Available" on the legend, move the map with the hand icon, to give you a new center location ZIP Code. (see image below)
Why? Because if the center of the map is on water (blue) or forest (green), it will say "No Location Available".
A Bloomberg dedicated terminal is located in the QSC for UWB student, faculty and staff use. A Getting Started Guide is by the terminal, and other guides and tutorials are available from within Bloomberg. A Bloomberg password is available from the QSC greeter or you can create your own by using a phone for confirmation. Take a USB drive to download data while working on Bloomberg. See next box for Getting Started - Bloomberg Essentials Training Guide.