Company & Industry Database Guides
- First Research Industry Reports
- Hoover's Company Profiles & SEC Filings
- IBIS World Industry Reports
- Industry Reports in Business Source Complete (e.g., MarketLine)
- MarketLine Company Profiles (in Business Source Complete)
- Mergent Online
- ReferenceUSA Company Profiles - view & download
- SEC Filings from Edgar Database
- Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage
SimplyMap is an Internet-based mapping application that enables users to develop thematic maps and reports using thousands of demographic, business, and marketing data variables.
Note: Users need to create a login (which creates a personal workspace) the first time they log-in to SimplyMap. This login is not related to any student id or login. SimplyMap will send an email confirmation so you can then enter the database (check your Spam in case the email went there).
Below is a downloadable handguide with quick instructions on how to create a map or custom report and extract data or image.
SimplyMap provides print guides and a few videos on using their database. Use the Help tab inside their database to access tthem.
Here are helpful SimplyMap tutorials developed by the Business Librarian from Ohio University:
- This tutorial shows how to create a ring study report and map for demographic and consumer variables using Census and Simmons data in SimplyMap. The ring study enables you to "create a demographic analysis of a target area based on 1, 3, and 5 mile radius around a location."
- Another tutorial shows how to create a standard report that enables you to "create a table comparing multiple variables across several locations."
- This tutorial shows how to add businesses to a map by type or name so you know where matching businesses are located. From this you can generate a tabular report with information on the businesses.
Tip for using the Filter feature to map more than one variable: The location appearing on the legend is always a ZIP Code at the center of the map. If the center of the map is water, it will say "No Location Available". If you move the map with the hand icon, it should give you the new center location ZIP Code.
A Bloomberg dedicated terminal is located in the QSC for UWB student, faculty and staff use. A Getting Started Guide is by the terminal, and other guides and tutorials are available from within Bloomberg. There is a Bloomberg 24/7 chat service on the terminal. A Bloomberg password is available from the QSC greeter or you can create your own but you will need access to a phone for confirmation. Take a flash drive to download data while working on Bloomberg.