Company & Industry Database Guides
- First Research Industry Reports
- Hoover's Company Profiles & SEC Filings
- IBIS World Industry Reports
- Industry Reports in Business Source Complete (e.g., MarketLine)
- MarketLine Company Profiles (in Business Source Complete)
- Mergent Online
- ReferenceUSA Company Profiles - view & download
- SEC Filings from Edgar Database
- Business Source Complete article search
- Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage
SimplyMap is an online program to develop maps, tables & reports with numerous demographic, business & marketing variables.
- To create a personal workspace, users must create a login the first time using SimplyMap. SimplyMap will email a confirmation to allow database entry (check your spam).
- SimplyMap is limited to FIVE concurrent users. If you cannot get in, try again later. Please log out when you finish your research so others can use the database!
Below is a downloadable handguide with quick instructions on creating a map or report & extracting data or image.
SimplyMap provides video tutorials. Use the Help tab inside their database to access them.
Here are helpful SimplyMap tutorials developed by the Business Librarian from Ohio University:
- How to create a ring study report and map for demographic and consumer variables. Ring studies enable "a demographic analysis of an area based on 1, 3, and 5 mile radius around a location."
- How to create a standard report is how to create a table comparing multiple variables across many locations.
- How to add businesses to a map by type or name pinpoints where businesses are located so tabular reports can be generated on them.
Tip for map feature: If the map center is on water (blue) or forest (green), it will say "No Location Available". So, if you have "No Location Available" on legend, move map with hand icon, to give a new center location ZIP Code. (see image below).
Bloomberg - Getting Started Guides
A Bloomberg dedicated terminal is located in the QSC for UWB student, faculty and staff use. A Getting Started Guide is by the terminal, and other guides and tutorials are available from within Bloomberg. A Bloomberg password is available from the QSC greeter or you can create your own by using a phone for confirmation. Take a USB drive to download data while working on Bloomberg in the QSC.